First of all, I have to thank Fabio, great chef and fantastic friend for letting me share with you all this fantastic autumn-winter treat. I am sure that many of you, while traveling around Tuscany would have, at least once, heard of Panzanella, a very simple and typical summer dish made up of bread,vinegar, basil, onion and tomatoes, all mixed up in a very fresh salad.
|Chef Fabio in the kitchen|
It is one of the best example of our cuisine, honest, frugal and simple, but full of flavors and motivated by the practice of never throwing out any left overs from the pantry.
Fabio has taken this simple recipe to a new level, more sophisticated and suited to cooler times of the year, making the best of what an autumn veggie patch can offer. I know that outside of Tuscany kale, or as we say “ cavolo nero” (black cabbage) could be hard to be found, still it is possible, still, in the worst case, it can be replaced with some large leaves vegetables such as spinach.
The quail eggs touch... I would recommend not to miss that, because it gives a completely different look to the dish and enhances all the flavors!
When you pick the bread, remember to look for something closer as much as you can to our Tuscan unsalted bread, a sourdough would do nicely. For the pancetta: if you can, try to avoid bacon, Italian pancetta is very common at any deli counter!!
I do hope that you will try to put together this dish. Despite being a recipe from the “high cuisine world”it is fairly simple to make and I can assure that the result will be fantastic, and maybe will take you back to the fun days of your trip!
Bread salad with kale , quail eggs and pancetta
Ingredients (4 pax)
- 160 g stole Tuscan bread
- 250 g kale
- 50 g carrots
- 50 g fresh onion
- 50 g green celery
- 120 g Tuscan pancetta
- 50 g extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- red wine vinegar
- 8 quail eggs
- Take out the crust from bread and dice it
- Toast the bread dices with olive oil until gently brown , cool
- Clean the kale, cut it in julienne, sautè in a pan with garlic and oil until cooked
- Dice carrot, celery, fresh onion and sautè them in a pan with oil
- Dice 60 g of pancetta and brown them in a pan
- Slice the rest of pancetta and dry it in an oven
- Cook poached 4 quail eggs in water and vinegar
- Fry 4 quail eggs sunny side up
- Mix the vegetables, dress with salt, pepper, vinegar and e.v.o.o.
- Add the dices of crispy bread
Ingredients (4 pax)
- 400 g kale leaves
- q.b. extra virgin olive oil
- q.b. salt
- q.b. vegetable stock
- cook the kale in salty boiling water
- drain, mix finely with oil
- cool it
Egg foam (if you really want to impress someone!!!)
- 1 n° egg
- 1 n° egg yolks
- 30 g cream
- 20 g milk
- q.b. salt e pepper
- 5 g butter
- Beat the eggs and pan fry with butter, whisking
- Add cream, salt, pepper
- Blend with cold milk
- Use the foam on the surface
Garnish and presentation
- Put the bread salad in a ring mould and turn out
- Put on top a quail egg sunny side up and a crunchy slice of pancetta
- Place in a dish the kale cream and the salad
- Put aside the poached quail egg and garnish with egg foam
- Finish with black pepper